Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My second friend in 15701

Gene was the second person I met when I moved to Indiana - the first was Anne K. - the three of us had the same 7th grade English class with a teacher whose name escapes me. She smelled like vanilla and years later, when I was working at the record store, she used to come in and buy High Times, which I found strangely reassuring.

I wish I could remember what we talked about that first time but I remember thinking he was really smart and well read. And a little odd but in a good way - his heart showing through the scruffy appearance, even at 13. Whatever we talked about connected us and we remained friends through high school and college.

2 Comments:

Blogger pattis said...

Greetings All,

Gene was the first person I met at IUP and he was kind and funny. We had along and unusual friendship.
His mother Linda Haldeman was a writer, as was I and the three of had a bond. I still have a latter Linda wrote me shortly before she passed.
After we graduated, Gene lived near me in NYC and then again when I moved to Philadelphia sometime after Linda passed. She left us instructions or celebrate her passing with lobster and port wine and so we did.
I still see us raising our glasses and toasting.
A lot of folks stayed in or near PA but Gene and I went boldly forth to the big city for theater.
Gene and I have each other magical names and I have a card he made for me our senior year.
I was different, not from PA, and Gene bridged the gap for me.
I lost him after I moved to the country .
That was a mistake and when I happened upon news of his passing I was more deeply affected than I can express. Namaste Gene, thank you for all you brought to my life.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Josiah said...

t'was a busy time at IUP, indeed...

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home